In 2008, CACF established Project CHARGE (Coalition for Health Access to Reach Greater Equity), an advocacy collaborative to address health equity and access issues in Asian Pacific American communities.
Currently Project CHARGE has 17 organizational members representing social service providers based in New York City that serve Asian Pacific American immigrants from over 16 countries, speaking over 25 different languages and dialects. Many of the clients that these social service providers serve have unique challenges due to their immigrant status, occupation, language needs, and cultural barriers.
Project CHARGE’s policy priorities include:
- Advocating for a robust language access plan for health consumer outreach, education, and health insurance enrollment
- Ensuring community voices are central in the decisionmaking process of city and state health agencies
- Protecting the safety net and increasing options for the remaining uninsured
Major Health Advocacy and Equity milestones in 2014:
- CACF successfully advocated to the New York State Department of Health to expand the number of translated health education documents for the state marketplace to 17 languages including Bengali, Simplified Chinese, Hindi, Korean, Nepali, Vietnamese, Japanese, Urdu and Arabic.
- Project CHARGE receive the Policy Advocacy Leadership Award from the NYU Center for the Study of Asian American Health.
- CACF built a strong network of 40+ navigators speaking over 19 different languages to assist thousands of individuals and families to enroll in affordable health insurance.
CACF and Project CHARGE members are continually sought after to participate in national, city, and state advisory committees shaping health care access, such as:
- AIM for Equity
- Mayor’s Inter-Agency Taskforce on Immigrant Health
- Mayor’s Office for Immigrant Affairs Language Access Taskforce
- OneCity Health Project Advisory Committee
- New York State Medicaid Redesign Team – Social Determinants of Health Working Group.
- New York State of Health Regional Advisory Committee for New York City
Project CHARGE Partners:
- Arab American Family Support Center
- Charles B. Wang Community Health Center
- Child Center of New York – Asian Outreach Program
- Chinese-American Planning Council
- Henry Street Settlement
- Immigrant Health and Cancer Disparities Service – South Asian Health Initiative
- Japanese American Association
- Dr. John Chin
- Korean Community Services of Metropolitan New York
- Mekong NYC
- South Asian Council for Social Services